EDUCATION | HEALTHCARE | ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT | ADDRESSING CRIME
Greetings, I am Errol Bush; a Democrat running for State Representative in the 85th State Representative District. I am the best candidate for the job because of my life experiences, political leadership, and career in community service.
After volunteering on Jesse Jackson’s campaign, I became fascinated with the political process. This sparked my desire to serve and so began my political career.
I served as an alderman, in Northwoods, for 8 years. I was then elected Mayor and served for another 8 years. After a 4 year break, in service (2003 – 2006), I was again elected as alderman in 2007. I still serve in that position and additionally serve as Northwood Housing Chairman.
As Mayor I had many accomplishments:
- Changed a truck ordinance that lets trucks park in residential driveways
- Acquired a leaf machine for residential leaf collection
- Reconstructed the North Pasadena Retaining Wall
- Secured grant of $598,000 to complete major road construction on North Pasadena and Nelson Drive
If elected as State Representative, my commitment is to bring the resources of the state to our district to benefit every community and neighborhood and keep constituents informed of the issues that will impact them. I will be active in all communities in the 85th district, and furthermore I will have an open door policy. I will listen, evaluate, and execute. Your interests will guide my decisions.
Some of the most pressing issues I have identified are:
- The need to address and advocate for Medicaid Expansion
- Monitoring of the School Transfer Legislation (Normandy School District)
- An advocate for local government
- Solutions to help reduce violent crime need to be reached
- All legislation that has a negative impact on the 85th district needs to be opposed
I will advocate and use my office to be a voice on every issue and concern that affect communities in the 85th district.
- Fannie Lou Hammer Political Group – Member
- Black Elected County Officials (BECO) – Treasurer
- 70thState Representative District – In-district Assistant
- St. Louis County Municipal League – Executive Director
- Mid-County Partners for Progress – Director
- Castle Point Association – Board of Director
- Normandy Township Democratic Club – Member
- Alderman Northwoods: 1987-1995 (4 terms) and 2007 – Present
- Mayor Northwoods: 1995-2003 (4 terms)
I have decades of political experience and activism. I have worked with Democratic candidates at all levels of government and several ballot issues.
- Jesse Jackson – Presidential Campaign
- Claire Mc Caskill – US Senate
- Cori A. Bush – US Senate Candidate
- Bob Gipson – State Representative
- John Bowman – State Representative, State Senate, Alderman
- Ted Hoskins – Mayor, State Representative, State Senate
- Charlie Dooley – St. Louis County Executive
- Hazel Erby – St. Louis County Council
- Kyra Watson – Mayor of Berkeley
- Passage of Prop N, Normandy Schools Collaborative – Communication Committee
- Ernest and DeVerne Calloway Award – Coalition of Black Trade Unions
- Excellence in Leadership – National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials
- Distinguished Service – Eta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
- St. Louis County Human Services County Youth Program Bravo Award
- Mid-County Partners for Progress
- Normandy Municipal Council
- Continental Societies, Inc.
- Received the Community Service Award from the Normandy Municipal Council. I worked with the St. Louis County Council to add $750,000 to a park improvement the bond issue for further development of St. Vincent Park. The bond issue passed and a community center was built for indoor sports and general community use.
- Initiated the 21st Century Youth Program including 14 municipalities, St. Louis County, the Urban League, and St. Louis Community College at Florissant Valley. This partnership develops academic skill, leadership, and entrepreneurial skills for youth 12-16 every summer.
- Partnered with Six Flags of St. Louis to host a hiring workshop at Northwoods City Hall to provide summer employment for Northwoods youth.
I grew up in St. Louis city and was raised, in a loving home, by my grandparents. I later moved in with my mother and stepfather. My mother was a nurse’s aid and my stepfather was a butcher. I lived in South and North Saint Louis and attended Saint Louis Public Schools where I received a great education. Both neighborhoods were nurturing and compassionate communities, molded by 2 parent families as well as extended families. Everyone knew each other. We were a village.
I went to church every Sunday and attended vacation bible school during the summers. My faith is very much a part of who I am today.
When I started my family, I moved to the City of Northwoods. I have lived here for 39 years and raised 3 children that attended schools in the Normandy School District and Parochial Schools. I have 4 grandchildren and enjoy spending time with them. I believe in staying physically fit and am at the YMCA regularly.
I started my political career in Northwoods by getting elected as Alderman and served in that position for 8 years- then I was elected Mayor and served for 8 years.
Better Family Life, Inc. – Job Developer 20 years – In this position, I offer fitting employment opportunities, vocational training, mentoring and encouragement.
National Super Markets – Apprentice and Journeyman Meat Cutter 20 years – I gained customer service skills and learned how to cut meat for consumer use. I was a member of the Meat Cutters Union Local 88 for over 20 years.
Member of the United Food Workers for Affirmative Action and Fair Employment. The organization was formed to bring about fair and just changes to eliminate employment and job discrimination against minorities.
- St. Louis Public Schools attended Beaumont High School received a GED
- Attends St. Louis Community College for Continuing Education classes for personal development and leadership classes
- St. Louis Community College at Meramec – Horticulture Program
- Licensed Realtor
- REED REALTOR – First Time Homebuyer Consultant
- Victory Christian Outreach Church – Usher
- Prince Hall Mason Trinity Lodge #10
- I enjoy jogging and staying physically fit
- I enjoy growing and reproducing tropical plants
- St. Louis Board of Realtors – Legislative Committee
- Melba Block Unit – Chairman
- Normandy Athletic Association – President
- Northwoods Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration – Founder
- Meals on Wheels – Volunteer Driver